Did you know that January is Cervical Health Awareness Month? Sports reporter and television host, Erin Andrews, was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2016. Today, Erin is cancer-free and urging all women to see their doctors and get regular testing for this preventable and treatable disease.
On this episode of the Patient Activation Network Podcast, Erin will share her personal journey with cervical cancer and tips to mobilize women to take charge of their health and get tested. Erin will be joined by OB-GYN and women’s health expert, Dr. Jessica Shepherd, who will discuss the best way for women to protect themselves against cervical cancer and advice for preparing for their annual exam.
Dr. Shepherd is an OB/GYN and women’s health expert and also the founder of Her Viewpoint, an online women’s health forum that focuses on addressing taboo topics in a comfortable setting. As an OB/GYN, she practices at the University of Illinois at Chicago and also serves as the Director of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. She is seen regularly as an expert on The Today Show, Dr. Oz, Steve Harvey, CBS News, FOX news (NY, LA Chicago and Dallas), WGN News and WCIU in Chicago where she is a monthly health contributor, as well as, guest co-host.
Cervical Cancer Facts
- Every 2 hours, 1 woman dies of cervical cancer. That’s a stat we all have the power to change!
- Cervical cancer is not only treatable; it is preventable.
- More than half of new cervical cancer cases occur in women who have never or rarely been tested.
- Pap+HPV Together provides the best possible protection for women ages 30-65 and detects 95% of cervical cancer cases.
- About Dr. Shepherd
- About Erin Andrews
- Erin’s diagnosis
- Surgery can’t keep Erin off the field
- Advice for women facing cervical cancer diagnosis
- Signs and symptoms of cervical cancer
- Closing thoughts
Ways to Listen
Click the podcast player above to listen, or you can find our podcast on your favorite channels: iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, and more. Thank you for listening and we look forward to bringing you another inspirational story soon.